Stephen A. Maczynski Memorial Endowment Fund
In 2020 Stephen Maczynski died from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) at the young age 61. Stephen graduated from Salesianum School in Wilmington, Delaware, and Georgetown University in Washington, DC. Stephen was also my nephew and the son of my sister Louise and brother-in-law Edward Maczynski.
Steve earned his reputation as a passionate and engaging teacher and as a faculty member at Georgetown Preparatory School. At Prep, Steve found his true calling assisting young people to discover their passions. While Dean of College Counselling and Academic Support Services, Steve had the rare gift of empowering students to believe in themselves – simply because he did. As Steve’s commitment to counseling deepened, he became a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), helping students who struggle with emotional and academic challenges to acquire the tools necessary to be successful. His approach earned him a reputation as an enthusiastic advocate and zealous counselor.
I am working with the staff at Nativity Preparatory School of Wilmington (Nativity Prep) to establish an endowment for the Counselling Program in Stephen’s name. This endowed scholarship is to honor Stephen’s life and the incredible work he did with hundreds of students. I want our Nativity Prep students to realize that they have a life path and can discover how to make it their own through hard work and determination. Your support of this endowment will keep Stephen’s dream alive at Nativity Prep.
Nativity Preparatory School of Wilmington is a tuition-free middle school for low-income boys from inner-city Wilmington. Established in 2003 by the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales, Nativity Prep serves boys of all faiths, grades 5-8, with proven discipline, academic ability, and desire to achieve greatness. Our mission is to help these young men maximize their full potential. At Nativity Prep, each student becomes a scholar, artist, athlete, and gentleman, well-prepared for the next leg of his journey. The Nativity model is designed to help every boy realize his potential as a productive member of society and as a leader and role model in his family and community.
Emphasizing excellence and character development, Nativity Prep features:
- A holistic and values-based program;
- Required parental involvement;
- High academic standards;
- A structured, comfortable, supportive, and safe environment;
- Personal and communal responsibility;
- Small classes (10-15 students) and individual attention;
- An extended day (11 hours) and year (200 days);
- Creative, dynamic teachers;
- Access to community and cultural resources;
- Curricula focused on reading, writing, grammar, and math fundamentals;
- A house system that motivates students to improve academic performance, develop positive peer relationships, build leadership skills, and help their local community; and
- Guidance, support, life skills, resources, mentoring, and career counseling through high school and college.
We want our Nativity Prep students to realize that they too have the opportunity for success. Your support of The Stephen Andrew Maczynski Endowment will realize Stephen’s dream of successful and productive young men flourishing at Nativity Prep.
Rev. Richard R. DeLillio, OSFS
President Emeritus of Nativity Prep